Donation Instructions

Dave was a teacher who believed in second chances and strived to maintain a 'pay-it-forward' attitude in all aspects of his life. He had a big heart for students who struggled in school and often made special connections with them, helping them turn their lives around. Through his coaching, his unique sense of humour, and lengthy conversations with students, he often created quite an impact on their lives. Dave's co-workers at Clarke Road Secondary School have initiated an award in his memory, to go to a student who has demonstrated a ‘turn around’ in his or her years at the school and is ideally continuing in a technical trade career.

Please consider donating to the Dave Richards Memorial Award Fund.
To donate go to the London Community Foundation website www.lcf.on.ca and select the 'Donate Now' button. You will be redirected to the 'Canada Helps' website. After you select the next 'donate now' button you can enter your donation amount and please ensure that you select the 'Dave Richards Memorial Fund' in the pulldown menu. Tax receipts will be issued for donations of $20 or more.

I truly appreciate your donations. I have a goal of $25,000.00 to attain, in order for this fund to continue on in perpetuity. This will ensure that Dave's gift - to inspire and enrich others through second chances - will continue long into the future.


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Year

It's hard to fathom that it's been a year since Dave died. Two years ago he was doing his all-time favourite thing - starting baseball season!  Last season was the first year he hadn't played since he was probably about 11 years old! When we were blind-sided with the terminal cancer diagnosis he thought that he'd fight it hard over the summer and be back playing this summer. I like to think that Dave still might be playing baseball this summer in heaven. (If anybody could pull together a pick-up team - it would be him!)

Dave & I were together since we were 17 years old - 28 years. 
Time carries on with or without us but simply put, time has not healed this loss.

Thankfully Cale & I have many memories of Dave but would appreciate it if you took a moment to comment and add a memory or two of your own.

Also, we greatly appreciate any donations to the award fund in Dave's memory.

8 comments:

Phyllis C. said...

Thank you for sharing so much of your journey...your family is inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I think of Dave so often - and wish so much he was still here with us. It sucks really - no better way to put it - having him in the halls at Clarke Road always brought extra life to the day. When I walk by his picture by the tech office it seems like he is right there and in a way I am sure he is. Thinking of you Val and Cale and know he left a lasting impression on me. ~ Alisha (fellow co worker)

Anonymous said...

I remember one time Dave, my brother Jim and I went to play a round of golf. This was probably 15 years ago. All three of us were definitely 'hackers'. Dave a little less so than brother Jim and myself. We had a great time enjoying friendly banter, the outdoors all the while ensuring the groundskeepers had job security.

There was one thing about Dave that really stood out for me that day. As I mentioned we were hackers. Brother Jim and myself used an illegal club on a number of occasions to get out of the 'rough'. Our "foot wedge" was instrumental in miraculously getting our golf ball back into the fairway. But, Dave never once resorted to this tactic. He played every single shot from where the balled rested regardless of how impossible his next shot appeared. I watched him hack at the golf ball on one hole at least 6 times to get the ball out from under a tree and back into the fairway.

Dave approached life the same way he played golf, with honesty and integrity! In life, he faced issues head on, with no bull but with a refreshing sense of humour. It didn't matter how insurmountable the problem was that Dave was facing or how dire the predicament confronting him. The man remained resolute in how he dealt with issues. In the face of overwhelming circumstances Dave was authentic, he was genuine! These attributes could only have come from his faith in Christ! His belief was real and freely shared with others. He was and still is a tremendous role model for everyone that wants to live life the way God intended. Dave had a huge heart. He loved God! He loved Val! He loved Cale! He loved his neighbour! All of us privileged to have enjoyed the 'Dave Richards experience' have been enriched.

Never did I see Dave use a "foot wedge" in life. Thank you Dave!

John and Zeny

Laura said...

You and Dave (and Cale too!) have always been such warm and welcoming people to me. At Christmas one year you gave me this giant fuzzy grey blanket. I still have it and it's great. Also remember being at the baseball field near the tracks on egerton with you guys, and Dave encouraged me to get involved in baseball too. And then running into you both at the field over my Stronach years later and you both still taking a great interest in what was happening with me. Now I am finally involved in the church baseball league too. I think of Dave fondly and remember his encouraging and joyful spirit.

Anonymous said...

I was sitting at work yesterday and looked at the calendar only to realize that it was the 14th, one year since Mr.Richards left to go on to something greater. And I sat at my desk for a minute,thinking how just 4 years ago I was in the halls of Clarke Rd just waiting for my grade 12 year to end.And I remember him telling me,appreciate every minute you have left, cuz one day your going to miss it here.And do I ever, Life was so much simpler when the biggest worry was if he was going to catch me out of class and punish me during practise. I miss those days and Mr. Richards. As life goes on and we change, one thing will always be the same which is the memories and life lessons he taught me and everyone else who chose to listen. KR

Anonymous said...

It was around 1995. I was a new Canadian citizen having arrived from the Philipines 7 years ago and had only been able to bring my children to Canada 2 years previously in 1993. I met Dave , Val and Cale at Hope Baptist Church in the early 1990s. Dave and Val were always doing things for me and my kids. They were the first ones helping us move to a new apartment. They would give us a ride to church every Sunday. We were poor. To us a bus ride was expensive. Dave was the father figure in my children's lives. He was always including my children in his activities. We all owe him so much!

There was a time late one night when I had a family emergency. The specifics are not to be shared. I could not deal with it on my own. I was frightened, I was upset, I was confused, and I desperately needed to talk to someone that I trusted. I called Dave. Within minutes Dave was knocking on my door. He had already called some Christian friends to come along with him. We prayed together for over 3 hours. As it turned out God heard our prayers that night and He resolved the emergency.

You cannot imagine the comfort and peace I felt that night knowing that God had brought a Christian friend and protector, Dave Richards, near to me and my family.

This was only one of the many kind, generous things that Dave did for us as we struggled in our new country.

Dave believed in Jesus Christ as his Savior and I will testify that I could see Jesus Christ in Dave by the way he lived his life.

Zeny Sisco

Ingo said...

Dave came to my shop on First St. to order some glass, in Dec 2009, He had just been to see the doctor & the news was not good. We stood in my shop at the cutting table and he shared what was to be his final battle in life. Before leaving that afternoon he asked if we could pray together. Only one person had ever prayed in my glass shop before (that was me & usually in private) Of course I agreed, Dave asked me to begin. Standing there with the big bay door wide open for anyone who passed by to see, we closed our eyes and I began to pray, I prayed for Dave, for his family, for Daves health, I prayed that God would give Dave the miracle he was hoping for, then Dave prayed, he touched briefly on his circumstances and then to my surprise, my friend Dave prayed for me? I'll never forget with everything that man was about to face, he prayed for my well being! From one christian brother to another, I love you man!

Judie Webb said...

Val, you have been a friend since Kindergarden (sp?) at Wortley Rd PS! I remember you and Dave dating at South SS, since those days the two of you have been soulmates! You guys have been through so much that life throws at you, good and bad!

Dave's battle with cancer was the ultimate curve ball ... since he is playing baseball somewhere!

You are an incredibly strong person, and now setting up this memorial award and website, has convinced again and again what a kind and giving person you are.

I will do anything I can to help you with this! "Pay it forward" is what Dave would have wanted!

Good Luck, Judie